There are very few diet plans that receive as wide spread appreciation than does the Mediterranean diet. Indeed, as a matter of routine, nearly everyone who has the opportunity to experience the Mediterranean diet tends to hold the dining scheme in high regard. In short, when people have the chance to try the Mediterranean diet, they like the Mediterranean diet.While there really are innumerable reasons why different people have found themselves smiling favorable upon the Mediterranean diet, there are four primary reasons why nearly everyone actually does like the Mediterranean diet regimen.
While a growing number of people place primary emphasis on the food they eat being healthy, the vast majority of people are most concerned that the food they eat and they beverages they drink are tasty.
In this fast paced world, about the only respite from the hustle and bustle of day to day living comes when a person has the chance to take a break for a meal. Therefore, finding a diet that includes tasty food items has become all the more important for men and women in the 21st century.
The Mediterranean diet has a reputation of consisting of not only health but also good tasting food. For example, the diet is rich in fish and certain types of seafood. These items are prepared without the addition of heavy spices or sauces. Thus, the natural flavors of the fish and seafood comes through in every Mediterranean dish to the pleasure of diners.
In addition to fish and seafood, the Mediterranean diet includes a wide array of different types of fresh fruits and vegetables. Because of the variety of fruits and vegetables in the diet, there truly is something that satisfies the tastes of any person. In addition, there are some wonderful desserts that are included in the Mediterranean diet, that are made from a variety of fruits, that have great appeal to people interested in watching what they are eating.
Helps Spur Weight Loss and Weight Maintenance
One of the most serious and widespread health concerns in the 21st century is obesity. A significant portion of the populations in many countries around the world are weighing in more than they should to maintain good health. Indeed, in some countries around the globe, fifty percent or more of the adult population is overweight. In addition, a significant share of the youth population is overweight or obese.
Because it is low in saturated fats and high in the regular, routine consumption of fruits and vegetables, the Mediterranean diet is proving itself to be a good alternative for men and women — and children — who are in need of a dietary routine that will bring down weight.
The Mediterranean diet also provides stability over time. The diet regimen is balanced in such a way that it allows a person to maintain a healthy weight once he or she has been able to shed unwanted fat.
Reduces the Risk of Serious Diseases
Over the course of the past several decades, people everywhere have become more aware of the linkage between food and health. These people really have come to appreciate truth of the somewhat trite mantra that “you are what you eat.”
– cancer (including breast and colorectal)
– heart and cardiovascular diseases
– hypertension (including stroke)
In addition, the Mediterranean diet is a perfect dietary routine for a person who is afflicted with diabetes.
A Convenient Course in Health Eating
Finally, the Mediterranean diet is very convenient. The diet consists of very common food items that are easy to prepare. In addition, the Mediterranean diet includes different food items that are relatively inexpensive. Therefore, you can elect to follow the Mediterranean diet and not disrupt your schedule or break the bank in the process.
Stretch your meals out. Don’t eat too fast. Your stomach, mouth and brain are all connected and it takes twenty minutes of chewing before your stomach signals your brain that you are full. To feel full and successfully lose weight on any weight loss program, you need to eat slowly for twenty minutes or longer.
Drinking eight glasses of water a day is important to your health, your normal diet and will help lose weight. Water is necessary for the metabolism of your stored fat. Weight loss cannot occur without an active metabolism which requires large quantities of water.
The more positive your self-esteem, the better you feel about yourself, the faster and easier it will be for you to lose weight. When you are self-confident, you are better able to take charge of your life.
If you go on a fat free or low fat diet, you also cut out much of the taste of the foods you eat. Add the flavor back with herbs and spices. Strong flavors such as vinegar, garlic, chili powder, cayenne, curry powder, rosemary and tarragon can be used to doctor up any food you are eating.
Increase your metabolism by as much as forty percent by using hot and spicy foods. Research has been done that shows
spicy foods can increase your metabolism. For double duty, give up fat filled mayonnaise for mustard and add hot peppers to your food for greater flavor and increased metabolism.
Negative emotions will also interfere with your weight loss program. It’s difficult to stay motivated to lose weight when you feel bad. Overeating often accompanies negative emotions such as depression, anxiety, fear, guilt and anger. Try to keep a positive attitude throughout your life.
To lose weight faster, reduce your intake of caffeine. Caffeine leads to an increase of insulin in your body which retards the burning of your stored fat.This is a simple chemical reaction in your body that you can change.
Increase your intake of fiber rich foods. They will help fill you up faster and will help all the food you eat pass through your digestive system more easily.
Exercise is probably the most important key to increasing your metabolism and burning off excess fat. Research shows that you burn more stored fat for energy when you do aerobic exercises on an empty stomach than on a full stomach. Research also shows that you burn more stored fat when you exercise late in the day rather than in the morning. Put it all together, and the best time to exercise to lose body fat is in the late afternoon/early evening after dinner. Second best is in the morning before breakfast.
Never skip a meal. Your first meal after waking starts your metabolism. Your metabolism then speeds up for about eight hours and then starts slowing down until you go to sleep when it goes to low until you wake and eat and start the cycle again. If you skip breakfast, your metabolism doesn’t get started until lunch time. You’ve just missed three or four hours of fat burning time. When you skip meals during the day, your metabolism also slows down. Weight loss through the burning of stored fat is all about eating enough of the right kinds of foods so you stay full and your metabolism stays as high as possible. Try to eat five to six small meals throughout the day.
I know how hard weight loss is and I want to share a few things with you I found along the way that helped me lose 70lbs in eleven months. I believe these weight loss tips can help you too, no matter what diet you chose to follow.
Tip #1 Eat Smaller Meals More Often
Eat breakfast, and then a couple of hours later have a snack. Eat lunch then a couple of hours later then have another snack. In another couple of hours you can eat dinner. Just make your choices are sensible. I buy the small peeled carrots in the bag that are ready to eat so I can eat healthy snacks.
Most diet plans leave you feeling deprived, but all of that chewing makes you feel more satisfied. Eating every few hours also raises your metabolic rate which means your body will burn fat and stop storing fat. Once you get used to this small change, you’ll discover this weight loss tip really works.
Tip #2 Eat Lots Of Vegetables
Eat raw vegetables and salads because they are low in calories, low in carbohydrates and are loaded with vitamins. But if you cover your salad or vegetables with dressing, you may as well forget about losing weight. Always get your salad dressing on the side because dressing is high in fat.
A good weight loss tip I discovered is dip your fork in the dressing before you fork the salad. This gives you a small taste but keeps the amount of salad dressing you eat to a minimum.
Tip #3 Drink Plenty Of Water
I fought this tip at first because it was just too hard to believe. But I changed my mind when I saw the benefits. Drinking water not only makes you less hungry but you will notice a big difference in the way you feel.
I drank a lot of diet sodas all of my life, but changing to water gave me a cleaner feeling and it actually helped me shed pounds once I switched. Any doctor will tell you to drink more water because it’s good for your overall health. If you change your mind about drinking more water, it could be the one tip that makes a big difference in your weight loss.
Tip #4 Walk
Oh no, the dreaded exercise word. That’s what I used to think, but just walking 20 minutes everyday helps burn fat and gives you more energy. Go out of the door and take a walk whether it’s before work, after work or even during your lunch.
I started by walking around my subdivision before work and was amazed at the difference it made in my weight loss.
Tip #5 Lose Weight Slowly
You should not lose any more than 1 to 2 lbs a week. If you lose weight too quickly your chances of gaining the weight right back dramatically increases. Losing weight too quickly can also cause health problems.
Look at losing weight as a long marathon and pace yourself so you can cross the finish line. Only concentrate on the next pound not the whole amount of weight you want to lose. In the end, you’ll not only complete the marathon but you will dramatically improve your health at the same time.
I am not a doctor and I would recommend you consult your doctor before you start any diet or exercise plan. This weight loss tips article was written only to share my personal experience with you with the hope that you will benefit from it.
Choose a healthy diet plan that you can live with the rest of your life because it is the only way you’ll keep the weight off. These weight loss tips will work for you if you keep an open mind and believe they will work.
Each soft drink is 150 empty calories. Replacing just one soft drink per day with water will result in losing 16 lbs per year.
2. Keep Yourself Busy
When there is nothing to do, we reach for the food out of boredom. Staying busy with other activities will help to keep your mind off food.
3. Get Rid Of Tempting Foods
We all have foods that we can’t resist. Knowing that, it’s best to not have those foods around the house. Out of sight, out of mind.
4. Watch Your Portions
How much you eat is just as important as what you eat. If an average person starts eating just 10% less, he will lose about 20 lbs per year without changing his diet.
5. Think Of Calories In Terms Of Exercise
You have to do the whole hour of aerobics to burn off the 500 calories contained in a big piece of cheesecake. What is easier for you: exercising for 1 hour or not eating the cheesecake?
6. Take A Pause
Next time when you are about to eat something you shouldn’t, pause for a couple of seconds and ask yourself -“Is It Worth It?” If the answer is “Yes”, go ahead and indulge. If the answer is “No”, step back and congratulate yourself for taking that pause.
It takes our brain about 20 minutes to realize that we are full. When you eat too fast, there is not enough time for the “full” feeling to register, so you’d end up literally stuffing yourself with food.
8. Don’t Skip Meals
When you skip a meal, you get way too hungry. When you are too hungry, you won’t be able to control yourself at the next meal. As a result, you’ll end up eating more than 2 meals worth of calories.
9. Plan Your Meals
Try to plan your meals in advance. Not knowing what you are going to eat will send you right to the fast food joint.
10. Do Everyday Physical Activities
Take the stairs instead of taking the elevator. Park your car at the far end of the parking lot. All those activities add up. Walking briskly for 15 minutes per day will help you lose an extra 10 lbs per year.
There are a lot of “crash” diets out there that promise that you’ll drop a considerable amount of weight in days or a week. I have tried a few of these, and in my experience the weight always comes back on, just as quickly.
One thing you don’t want to do if you are actually serious about losing weight is to follow these fad diets. After their ineffectiveness has been proven time and again, people will start to wise up to that particular diet, and will head off in search of a new craze.
Lets be honest, people want to lose weight and they want immediate results, but this is just wishful thinking. To lose weight permanently and effectively it will be a rather slow progress, all depending on your metabolic rate and how much you need to lose.
There are however some proven tried and true methods for aiding in the weight loss process, and I can make you familiar with them.
1. Don’t skip breakfast. Whatever you do follow this advice, because otherwise you are much more likely in fact prone to binge later in the day.
2. Don’t eat anything for at least an hour before going to bed.
3. Don’t snack while watching TV. It’s acceptable to eat a meal while watching television, but never is snacking at this time acceptable.
4. Substitute fruits like; bananas, watermelon, plums, peaches, and oranges for sugary treats like; cookies and candy.
5. Substitute honey for sugar, and carob powder for chocolate in all recipes.
6. Eat more vegetables. This can even be enjoyable if you have a good cookbook like Good housekeeping’s latest edition.
7. Avoid unnecessary high calorie foods.
8. Exercise at least a half hour each day for five days out of the week.
I remember back in my senior year of high school – my best friend since 5th grade was living in France. He wrote that they didn’t like Americans much. “They think we’re all fat,” he said. With his own skinny frame, of course, he confounded their belief.
But, he added a funny, or perhaps ironic capstone to the issue. “I went to a store, and they were selling statues of these fat people, and, at the base of each one was written, ‘American.'”
Obesity is not only an American problem. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), it’s a global problem. They call it globesity. Parodoxically, their understanding of this problem began with their original mission to eliminate hunger and malnutrition. We live in a world where many have nothing to eat, and many eat too much. From 1995 to 2000, the number of obese adults worldwide mushroomed from 200 million to 300 million. That’s a 50% increase in just 5 years!
What is Obesity, and What is Overweight?
Overweight means an excess of body weight. This excess weight may be muscle, bone, fat, and/or body water. Obesity refers specifically to an abnormally high proportion of body fat. You can be overweight without being obese – for example, a bodybuilder or other highly-muscled athlete. But many people who are overweight are also obese.The main way to determine whether you are overweight or obese is with the body mass index (BMI). It doesn’t directly measure body fat, and it’s not gender specific, but it does give you a pretty reliable estimation.
To find your BMI, divide your weight (in kilograms) by your height in meters squared. Yep, for the math-challenged, that’s complex, so I’ll give you a website that will figure it out for you, the National Institute’s of Health BMI calculator (http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/). This will very quickly tell you if you are normal, overweight, or obese, and it does all the calculating and metric conversions for you!
Overweight is defined as a BMI above 25 (including those above 30 BMI, too), and obese is a BMI above 30. So, all obese people are overweight, but not all overweight people are obese.
The Obesity Epidemic
Obesity isn’t just about not feeling good or having trouble getting dates…
It leads to more than 300,000 premature deaths each year in the United States. 90,000 are preventable cancer deaths. (CDC)
Severely obese men die 13 years sooner than men of normal weight (JAMA).
Spending: Americans spend between $40-50 billion per year to lose weight.
Results: I haven’t seen any recent news that Americans are getting any thinner – have you?
Conclusion: What people are doing isn’t working. If we want different results, we have to try a different solution.
Acupuncture Weight Loss: Fantasy, or Fact?
Fantasy or Fact? As a well-trained and fairly conservative Chinese medicine practitioner, I had assumed that acupuncture for weight loss was a marketing fad and a patient fantasy.
Evidence: But while researching my upcoming book Chinese Medicine: A Practical Guide to Optimal Healing, I found some surprisingly positive information that changed my mind.
Chinese Medicine’s Collective Clinical Data on Acupuncture Weight Loss
Chinese Medicine has thousands of years of clinical experience. This collective data not as convincing as randomized controlled trials are, but it does contain truth – it’s imperfect but still valid and important.
A U.S. government study in the 80’s concluded that 85% of western medicine is based on clinical experience, not on research. (Office of Technology Assessment of the Congress of the United States, The Impact of Randomized Controlled Trials on Health Policy and Medical Practice, Background Paper OTA-BP-H-22. Also see Michael Millenson’s book, Demanding Medical Excellence)
There is good Chinese Medicine research in Taiwan, Australia, and Europe that gets ignored by American scientists and media. Much research in Chinese has not even been translated into English.
Seven Studies of Acupuncture for Weight Loss
* Lowers body weight, body fat, insulin levels, and lipid levels in the blood
* Decreases excessive appetite and makes it easier to satisfy your hunger with less food.
* Decreases menopausal weight gain
In one study, acupuncture took off 10 pounds in 2 months – that translates to 60 lbs in a year!
* Combined with diet control, and aerobic counseling it not only takes off the pounds and body fat, but keeps them off, especially if you’re diligent with their exercise.
(See references at end of article for the research)
Ephedra misuse and mislegislation
Ephedra is a Chinese herb for colds and coughs. It has been misused to increase metabolism, and this misuse has caused numerous deaths. As a result, the FDA is considering a total ban on ephedra products. We can blame two major things:
Supplement companies that care more about your money than your health (no, not all of them are that way, but some of them are, especially the ones that market weight loss formulations).
The idea that you can medicate yourself safely with herbs – self-medication of any kind is risky. Self-medication with herbs is off the radar, and people generally think they can do it safely. The ephedra debacle is an example of how dangerous it can be.
Traditionally, Chinese herbs are given in formulas (not singly), which is safer and more personalized. They’re prescribed by a Chinese medicine practitioner who diagnoses your specific imbalances first. Ephedra would never be given for weight loss, but only for certain kinds of colds and coughs, and only to people whose body’s can handle it.
No traditional Chinese herbs should be outlawed without allowing Chinese medical practitioners to continue to use them traditionally.
Problem #1 (Enzyme Deficiency): The foods you crave depending on your personal imbalances. Modern digestive science explains that when your body can’t digest a food, you crave more of it – you’re not getting what you need from it. This lead to a cycle of craving and overeating the exact food you can’t digest.
Problem #2 (Low Blood Sugar): Another vicious cycle happens when you can’t
digest complex carbs, so your blood sugar is low, so you eat simple carbs that raise your blood sugar which raises insulin, which lowers your blood sugar again, and your stuck eating donuts and feeling horrible.
Solution: Enzymes (I recommend various enzyme formulations from a company called Transformations) and Chinese herbal formulas can help you digest your food and break both of these cycles
Weight can be lost safely if done slowly and naturally. You can lose up to 2 lbs per week without gaining it back. That means you could lose 104 lbs this year and keep it off!
Positive change is like stretching a rubber band- if you stretch too far too fast, it breaks or snaps back on you.
So avoid the temptation to take an easy solution like ephedra or citrus aurantium (both misused Chinese herbs), because you’ll gain the weight back, and you’re risking heart problems and stroke.
5 Things to Do Right Now To Lose 10 Pounds Within 2 Months And Keep Them Off:
1. Avoid heavily marketed supplements – instead, see a professional trained herbalist (acupuncturist) – it’s safer and more effective – my preference would be a Chinese medicine practitioner, but some very well-educated western herbalists are good too.
2. Acupuncture Weight Loss: See an acupuncturist/chinese herbalist – Get acupuncture (once to three times per week) to SAFELY regulate your metabolism and hunger-satisfaction. Your acupuncturist can also get you the herbs that will balance your digestion and cravings – and based on your Chinese pattern diagnosis, they can also give you personalized diet advice. Herbs and enzymes (specific formulations from the enzyme company, Transformations) can eliminate your food cravings.
3. Develop a plan and goals with your acupuncturist and aerobics instructor- make it realistic, and stick to it. If you mess up, don’t beat yourself up, just get back on track as soon as you can. Any progress is better than none at all.
4. Eat less, exercise more – Eat a low fat diet, and don’t miss breakfast! Weigh yourself regularly, and exercise an hour a day. Start by walking a few minutes each day, or take the stairs at work. Don’t overdo it! Remember the rubber band. In fact, you may want to wear a rubber band on your wrist to remind yourself to make changes slowly. Get some aerobic exercise help- a public class, or private aerobic counseling.
5. Join a support group like Weight Watchers or Overeaters Anonymous. There’s nothing like positive friends to encourage you and keep you on track. OA members say that this spiritual program of action has changed the way they relate to food.
I have tried a few of these, and in my experience the weight always comes back on, just as quickly since the weight loss tips given are not something that will work with your body.
One thing you don’t want to do if you are actually serious about losing weight is to follow these fad diets and their ridiculous weight loss tips.
After their ineffectiveness has been proven time and again, people will start to wise up to that particular diet, and will head off in search of a new craze.
Lets be honest, people are always searching for new weight loss tips because they want to lose pounds and they want immediate results, but this is just wishful thinking.
To lose weight permanently and effectively it will be a rather slow progress, all depending on your metabolic rate and how much you need to lose.
There are however some proven tried and true weight loss tips for aiding in the weight loss process, and I can make you familiar with them.
Weight Loss Tip 1
Don’t skip breakfast. Whatever you do follow this advice, because otherwise you are much more likely in fact prone to binge later in the day.
Weight Loss Tip 2
Don’t eat anything for at least an hour before going to bed.
Weight Loss Tip 3
Don’t snack while watching TV. It’s acceptable to eat a meal while watching television, but never is snacking at this time acceptable.
Substitute fruits like; bananas, watermelon, plums, peaches, and oranges for sugary treats like; cookies and candy.
Weight Loss Tip 5
Substitute honey for sugar, and carob powder for chocolate in all recipes. These taste just as good if not better when used properly.
Weight Loss Tip 6
Eat more vegetables. This can even be enjoyable if you have a good cookbook like Good housekeeping’s latest edition.
Weight Loss Tip 7
Avoid unnecessary high calorie foods. Instead of a high calorie salad dressing for instance try cottage cheese or yogurt to improve the salads taste and peel off the pounds.
Weight Loss Tip 8
Exercise at least a half hour each day for five days out of the week. Biking on a stationery bike while reading is a great form of exercise to slim legs.
In conclusion there is nothing stopping you from losing weight except yourself.
Get off the “I can’t do anything about my weight problem” bandwagon and start dropping pounds today!
Build the Foundation
Many people begin a weight loss program with their basal metabolic rate (BMR), which is the amount of energy (calories) your body uses in a resting state, in the gutter. The key then is to increase your BMR so that you are burning more calories throughout the day, every day. Increase the amount of calories you burn, increase the amount of fat you lose. Makes sense, yes? The best way to increase your BMR is through adding muscle tissue. Females often shudder at the idea of adding muscle due to their fear of becoming “bulky.” Relax babe! It’s a little harder to add that kind of muscle mass than you think. Besides, a little muscle mass goes a long way toward achieving a leaner body. And this is what you want, right?
Specificity of Program
Not just any exercise program will do for weight loss. Simply burning calories is not good enough. The program must be designed to elicit specific hormonal responses that are conducive to weight loss. I’ll give you a hint…hours and hours of cardio is NOT the answer!
This one pretty much speaks for itself. Have you ever achieved anything great with an inconsistent effort? Unless you consider failure a great achievement, you probably haven’t. You must exercise consistently to get the results you want! It amazes me how many people put so little effort into their exercise program and complain about not seeing results. Even the most well designed programs are useless if they are not adhered to on a consistent basis.
Again, this one goes without saying. You can’t expect to achieve a leaner body by continuing your unhealthy eating habits. This isn’t to say that you should drop everything in your diet immediately and exchange it for “healthy” food. You would end up miserable and revert back to your old habits within a month. Instead, practice moderation and don’t overindulge. Also, phase certain unhealthy foods out of your diet while introducing healthier foods. The transition will be easier to make and a lot easier to maintain.
Chad Anderson, CSCS operates an online fitness programming and in-home personal training service. He holds a BS degree in exercise science with a minor in nutrition and is a Certified Strength & Conditioning Specialist through the NSCA.
The truth about easy weight loss, (it’s not tooooo… hard).
If you want easy weight loss, then follow these tips. Each helps a little bit, but put a few together and you have a powerful edge.
* Drink plenty of water. Water helps with weight loss for several reasons. Number one it speeds up your metabolism. The faster your metabolism is, the more calories you burn. Drinking water also makes weight loss easy because if you fill up on water, you won’t fill up on high calorie beverages or snacks.
* Eat lots of fiber. Fiber is very filling because it absorbs water as it moves through your digestive system. Additionally, foods that are high in fiber are low in calories. Examples include apples, rice cakes, carrots, and whole grains. Also, diets that are high in fiber reduce your risk for colon cancer and helps lower your cholesterol.
* Eat breakfast every day. It’s easy to skip breakfast but studies have shown that people who eat breakfast are more likely to have easy weight loss then those who do not. This is because eating breakfast jumpstarts your metabolism and therefore you will burn more calories throughout the day. Also when you eat breakfast, you are less likely to be hungry later in the day when your body is resting.
* Eat more! Eat 6 small meals throughout the day instead of 3 larger ones. Like drinking water, eating also helps increase your metabolism. When you refuel your body at regular intervals, your body burns calories faster.
* Add dairy to your diet. Recent studies have shown that adults who eat at least 3 dairy products a day lost more weight than those who did not. Researchers attribute this to the fact that calcium increases fat breakdown in fat cells. But remember, the number of calories you eat per day still matters!
* Cut out the booze. A 10 oz wine cooler has 125 calories. A 12 oz serving of beer has 150 calories. Mixed drinks are even worse. A Long Island Iced Tea has about 700 calories. A margarita has about 400.
* Learn the art of portion control. In order to obtain easy weight loss you have to control how much you eat. If you don’t have time to count calories, that’s fine. But you must reduce your serving sizes. Each portion of fruit or veggies that you eat should be the size of half of a tennis ball. Each serving of meat should be no larger than the palm of your hand. When you eat at restaurants, ask for a box with your meal that way you can box up half of it for later.
* Choose an exercise plan that you will enjoy. If you don’t like going to the gym, then you are not going to. If you don’t like running, then you aren’t going to stick to a running plan. You must find an exercise plan that you will enjoy. Perhaps you’d like an aerobics class. Or maybe you’d prefer to stay at home and do Taebo. Maybe you’d like to take a dance class. Whatever you decide, you have to choose something that will work for you and that you will stick to.
* Seek support from others. Having the support from others makes weight loss easy. Tell your family and friends about your goals. If they aren’t encouraging, there are numerous groups that you can join that are comprised of people trying to reach the same goal as you. Additionally join the free weight loss forums that are on the internet.
Your goal? To start using these tips on a daily basis and give your weight loss program a turbo charge!
Are you ready to lose some weight? Perhaps you’re surfing for the magic pill that will vanish your weight away. Maybe you’re simply searching for the right information to help you lose and keep the weight off. Whatever the case, here’s some surefire tips to help you with your weight loss.
1. Do your homework. As you start your weight loss plan, take the time to carefully evaluate your situation. What caused the weight gain? Pregnancy? Inactivity? Overeating and binging? Emotions? There are many triggers in our lives that will cause us to gain weight. Some can be prevented or eliminated, some can’t. It’s important as you begin your weight loss to understand and come to grips with the cause of your weight. Be honest with yourself. Don’t cheat on this one. Obviously, you want to have your weight loss become permanent.
In order to keep off the weight in the future, you may have to make some lifestyle changes to stay slim. Don’t give up before you start. There’s usually more than one solution to any weight gain reason. Just remain open-minded, and be willing to change to get the results you desire. Don’t hesitate to read and learn as much as you can about weight gain. It’s really easy to understand, and you may be surprised at what you learn.
2. Avoid Hidden Calories. Here’s an over simplified version of weight loss and weight maintenance… if you eat more than your body needs, you gain weight. If you eat less (reduce calories) than your body needs, you lose weight! While it sounds simple enough, just eat less ….Right? Basically that’s true. Yet, there are other things that come into play as one is trying to lose weight. One common mistake many people make as they diet is the fact they don’t really understand how much is provided by the food they are eating. This is especially true with eating out and eating snack foods and beverages.
A serving as defined by the scientific communities on weight loss and a serving that your local restaurant provides is most often very different. For example, one serving of bread is typically one slice. Yet, the average bun in a fast food restaurant is actually almost three servings. A single serving of French fries is 15 fries. Just take a guess at how many servings are in a “Biggie” French fry container.
Also, don’t be fooled into thinking just because a bag of popcorn is small, that it’s a single serving. The same thing goes for beverages. The bottle may contain16 oz. Yet, the serving size may be 4 ounces. Pay attention to actually how many servings of food and beverages you are actually consuming. The amount may surprise you.
I’ll give you an example, my son-in-law who’s 28 was had put on several pounds. His favorite cola is Mountain Dew. Mountain Dew has higher sugar content than most other cola’s. He didn’t have a clue as to how may calories he was consuming by drinking 3 or 4 24 oz bottles a day. When my daughter told him, he was amazed. He replaced the cola with water and went from a 38” waist to a 34” waist in about two months. Be careful, you may be consuming more than you think.
3. Consider Diet Pills Carefully. Maybe one of your diet buddies has decided to buy diet pills, or maybe you’ve seen or heard a commercial for diet supplements promising easy fast weight loss. If so, please evaluate CAREFULLY! Even the most natural-sounding diet pills or weight loss supplements can be useless for weight loss, or dangerous, or both. Diet pills are very tempting things if you want to lose weight, especially if you have tried several conventional weight loss plans without success. The side effects and dangers of some diet and weight loss pills can vary enormously because many of these pills contain a cocktail of ingredients and because dosage instructions may be inadequate. Possible side effects include: nervousness, tremor, diarrhea, bulging eyes, racing heartbeat, elevated blood pressure even heart failure.
There are some instances when diet pills can be helpful. Usually these are indicated in the truly obese person. For the person wanting to lose 5 or 10 pounds, they usually aren’t necessary. So you may ask, how does the diet pills work to cause weight loss, while I continue to eat the same amount? In recent years, it seems everyone has the PERFECT answer to help with your weight loss. There are almost as many weight loss methods and diet pills available as there are people who want to lose weight.
There are diet pills that stop your hunger so you eat less and burn more fat. There are diet pills that cause the body not to metabolize all the food you eat, so it’s passed out of your system and not stored as fat. There’s combination of these two. As you begin your search for the perfect diet pill, be careful as some can have harmful effects on your body.
Diet Pills work by shifting levels of brain chemicals (neurotransmitters) that control satiety (fullness) and desire for food. Some also slightly increase your metabolic rate – the rate at which your body burns calories.
Examples of weight loss diet pills include:
Diethylpropion hydrochloride (eg. Tenuate)
Mazindol (eg. Mazanor, Sanorex)
Phendimetrazine tartrate (eg. Bontril)
Phentermine hydrochloride (eg. Adipex-P, Ionamin)
4. Monitor/Increase Your Activity – Regardless whether you’re taking diet pills or not to help with your weight loss, it’s still important to maintain a regular exercise program. This is beneficial not only for your weight loss, but also for your overall health. In many ways we in the developed country have a much more sedentary lifestyle than our bodies need. Obviously it’s easier for us than in the era when people had to be very active simply to survive, yet it’s not necessarily healthy for us not to be active. Start and maintain some sort of exercise plan no matter what your age. Especially for the middle-aged and older people exercise play a very, very important role in the quality of health and staying within normal weight ranges.
5. Develop a Plan for Maintenance. Even if you’re taking diet pills to help with your weight loss it’s important to keep in mind, that once you stop the pills, unless you maintain a balance between your activity level and the food you eat the weight will come back. While it may take some time to become accustomed to a change in diet and activity, the rewards are well worth the time and effort spent to reach and maintain a healthy weight.
Read the rest of this entry